Godfreys was founded in November 1933 by Sir William Godfrey. W M Godfrey and Partners started life supplying sprayers and Allen Scythes to local fruit growers from a small flat in Tonbridge. It soon relocated to a site in Petteridge, Brenchley, where it grew to be one of the largest horticultural equipment suppliers in the UK.W M Godfrey & Partners set up satellite stores across Kent in Sellinge and Sevenoaks and represented Ransomes and other leading brands of the day. The company was also involved in milking machines and the manufacturing of generators. It was bad export sales to Nigeria, the dry summer of 1976 that eventually brought a halt to W M Godfrey & Partners in 1980 after 47 years of trading.