BdR (Civil and Structural Engineering) Ltd
Established in 2001, The aim of BdR (Civil & Structural Engineering) is to provide a reliable, cost effective service, which finds imaginative solutions to meet the engineering needs of all our Clients. Operating from our well equipped head office in Hadlow, Kent, we cover the whole of the South East of England from North London to the Isle of Wight.
The extensive range of services we offer include most aspects of civil and structural engineering design. Our infrastructure teams have extensive experience of highways and drainage design, flood risk assessments, transportation, diversions and adoptions. The broad range of expertise from our Structural Engineers covers a wide range of projects, from domestic alterations to multi-storey developments. We can also offer a range of additional services through carefully selected partners. See below for a breakdown of the main services we offer or visit our projects page to see examples of our work. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information if the service in which you are interested is not listed.
Our high-quality, experienced staff are able to deal directly and knowledgeably with clients ranging from sole property owners through to large property developers. We have established full working partnerships with Local Authorities, Health Trusts and Water Authorities. We also work extensively with many contractors to provide Design and Build services.
BdR have a wealth of experience and history of innovation in the Civil Engineering sector. Building on the core experience of its founding directors, BdR offers a strong and innovative civil engineering team for both commercial and residential projects. Our experienced engineers are involved with every aspect of infrastructure design, maintenance and development to ensure utmost quality and attention to detail.
Our Civil Engineering services include the following, to name a few:
- Initial site appraisal; including site access, servicing and drainage issues
- Transportation Assessments and Statements
- Flood Risk Assessments
- Feasibility design
- Sewer design, including attenuation
- Highway design for adoption
- Highway Maintenance
- Section 278 highway improvements.
BdR upholds a strong portfolio of experience within our Structural Engineering department. Our engineers are proficient at managing a wide variety of multi-disciplinary schemes ranging from domestic alterations to large multi-storey developments. The established experience of our structural engineering teams is reinforced by advanced Computer Aided Design software in order to provide the most technically accurate and cutting-edge design work for our clients.
At BdR we have covered many services and below is a list of some of them:
- Structural design of domestic, residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- Structural design using reinforced concrete, steelwork, masonry and timber to current British and European Standards
- Detailing of structural concrete
- Design of portal frame sheds
- Foundation designs including deep trench foundations, piles, pile caps, ground improvement, underpinning and rafts
- Refurbishment and structural alterations of existing buildings
- Structural surveys and condition reports of residential, commercial and industrial buildings
- Retaining wall design
- Design, detailing and inspection of timber frame buildings (TRADA member)
- Historic structure surveys and reports
- Design and detailing of water retaining structures
These are just a few examples of the work we undertake, please contact us for more information.
BdR have a strong portfolio that covers a wide range of projects, both individual and commercial developments. These have included new council depots, flood risk assessment for residential development and the re-development of an old hospital site into a complex of residential / commercial buildings.
Our Civils team are experienced in working on a diverse range of Civil Engineering projects. These can include public projects such as design and construction of roads, drainage, risk assessments, sewer works and highway advice and design. We are also able to complete transport assessments and produce travel plans and reports. Our team will work on every part of infrastructure design, maintenance and development to help deliver the project result you want.
Our Structures team are highly skilled and accustomed to working on a diverse range of Structural Engineering projects. These can include commercial projects such as multi-storey developments, large scale foundation design and the detailing and design of water retaining structures. They are also experienced in and available for residential projects including individual and multi-property development, structural surveys and condition reports. Our engineers work with the latest Computer Aided Design software to ensure the highest quality of work for your projects.
Please visit our website for an extensive portfolio of projects to see samples of our work.
BdR have worked with many established and well known clients including: Ashford Borough Council, Crawley Borough Council, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council, Environment Agency, Brazier New Homes, Rydon Homes, Persimmon Homes and Southern Water to name a few.
To see a more exhaustive list then please see our full client list.
BdR is proud of its commitment to ethical practice and conducting its business morally and with its social responsibilities in mind.
Recruitment and Training
- BdR does not discriminate in its selection procedures or in the opportunities for advancement and reward.
- Adverts for job opportunities are firstly placed in the local press, then in the national trade press and finally with recruitment agencies. We also use social media to advertise positions available through the company pages and website. Although applications from local people are warmly welcomed, BdR does not practice positive discrimination.
- All staff are given annual development reviews to identify areas which require development and support. Technical staff are given financial support, encouragement and training to gain professional qualifications to aid their careers. Day release programmes are supported to further enhance training provided to staff.
- Work experience placements are offered on a regular basis to provide education and encouragement to the younger generation.
Support of the Community
- BdR uses local community facilities for its training venue, rather than commercial conference facilities, specifically so that we can support the community organisation.
- BdR prints the cover of a local community magazine at less than cost.
- BdR has a charitable giving policy to sponsor staff engaged in fund raising for their local community groups.
BdR operates an Environmental Management System which was drawn up in accordance with EN ISO 14001:2004 but which has not been externally accredited.
Through regular environmental impact reviews BdR seeks to actively work to reduce the environmental impact of its purchasing, operation and waste disposal. Measures include:
- Local sourcing
- Use of recycled and reclaimed products
- Low energy equipment
- Recycling of paper, card, plastic and ink / toner cartridges
- Reduced energy consumption
- Use of sustainable transport where viable.
Although BdR rarely employs sub-contractors, suppliers are selected based on their ability to meet the requirements of BdR’s Environment Management System.
At BdR we can give you a comprehensive range of CDM Co-ordinator duties that are all under the Construction Regulations 2007.
These will include the following as a selection:
- Client advice on the Construction Phase Health + Safety Plan suitability
- Advice to clients to carry out duties under CDM 2007
- Advice on competence of contractors and designers
- Preperation of Health /Safety file
- Preperation and communication of pre-construction information
- Co-ordination of designers
Please contact us for more information.
For all our vacancies, the top candidates will demonstrate an infectious can-do attitude, an enthusiasm for tackling new challenges and an ability to find imaginative solutions. BdR is a small but busy consultancy business with a strong focus on our client's objectives and finding the best innovative solutions to meet our clients' needs. Our new team members will help to build BdR's reputation for excellence while building a great career with us.
Currently we do not have any vacancies available. We would however encourage you to send us your CV for consideration as, in some circumstances, we may create a position for outstanding candidates.
If you would like us to consider your CV, please send it, with a cover letter to Deirdre@bdr.uk.com
We strongly believe in the progression of young people and are equipped to take on a student seeking work experience for short periods of time (maximum two weeks), subject to a meeting prior to acceptance.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We strive to employ, motivate, develop and reward our employees regardless of:
- Race, Colour, National or Ethnic Origin
- Marital Status
- Religion or Religious Belief
- Sexual Orientation
Our Equal Opportunities policy applies to recruitment and selection, the terms and conditions of all aspects of employment including pay, promotion, and training. We aim to ensure that persons are employed, promoted and treated solely on their individual abilities and merits.