MAHLE Powertrain Ltd
MAHLE Powertrain - your service provider for the entire powertrain
We provide a broad spectrum of skills and capabilities to our global customers. With expert knowledge and a detailed understanding of new technologies, MAHLE Powertrain supports the international automotive industry with optimized powertrain solutions to satisfy our customers’ requirements. Engine, transmission, hybrid, software, operating strategy. From one source.
Our engineering division uses experience and innovation to develop powertrain solutions with high efficiency. A full range of design and development activities for internal combustion engines are carried out, either for the optimization of existing engines or for new 'clean sheet' designs.
Our engineering division has capabilities in the following areas:
- Gasoline Systems
- Diesel Systems
- Hybrid Systems
- Powertrain Design and Verification
- Thermodynamics and Applications
- Engine and Component Testing
The manufacturing division provides our customers with comprehensive and highly efficient facilities for the production of complete engines and sub-assemblies.
The following manufacturing services are available at our UK facilities:
- Block and Component Machining
- Cylinder Head and Engine Assembly
- Powertain Assembly
- Supply Chain Management
By using the application of advanced turbocharging technology, we have designed and manufactured the MAHLE downsizing demonstrator engine - a highly efficient, small gasoline engine designed to match the fuel economy and performance of modern diesels.
The key points of MAHLE's downsizing demonstrator engine are:
Aggressive engine downsizing > 50 %
High specific output 100 kW/l
Fuel economy benefit (proven) > 30 %
CO2 emissions (NEDC) 135 g/km
MAHLE NIKASIL® parent bore cylinder coating
BMTS single-stage turbocharger
The general principle of engine downsizing is most relevant for large or medium-sized vehicles where the potential fuel economy and emissions benefits can be maximised. The VW Passat Estate (weighing 1,600 kg) was selected as the ‘mule’ downsizing demonstrator vehicle, with the 1.8 litre turbo gasoline variant of this car providing the dynamic performance targets.
- Fuel economy of 5.8 l/100 km (~49 UK mpg)
- CO2 emissions of 135 g/km on the NEDC
- High torque at low engine speed
The MAHLE downsizing demonstrator vehicle delivers the best of both worlds: flexible and dynamic performance, combined with excellent fuel economy and low emissions.
We have developed a range extender demonstrator engine specifically for use in electric vehicles. Using our knowledge and experience of vehicle drive cycles, we were able to determine the critical factors in the design and development of an optimized range extender engine.
Key attributes for the range extender demonstrator engine are:
- Enhanced range & dynamic performance for EVs
- Design / development / prototyping within 9 months
- Fully integrated axial-flux generator
- Range Extender optimised for: Cost, Weight (< 65 kg, incl. generator), Package volume
MAHLE Powertrain’s compact range extender engine powers an electric vehicle when the battery level is low. A range extender demonstrator vehicle showcases this technology and to assist in the further development and optimisation of the engine, associated hardware and control systems.
- Capability of achieving 45 g CO2/km on the legislated NEDC test
- Combination of battery + engine range of up to 500 km
- Minimum ‘electric only’ range of 70 km
- Maximum speed of 145 km/h with the ability for continuous (charge sustaining) driving at 120 km/h
- Capability of maintaining 90 km/h on a 6 % gradient
- Retaining all of the original passenger and luggage space
The MAHLE range extender demonstrator vehicle provides the optimum combination of extended range and flexibility of use with zero tailpipe emissions capability and class-leading fuel economy.
We created a powerful and fully flexible control unit for a wide variety of engine management and vehicle tasks. Our Flexible ECU (MFE) is a robust, open architecture controller based on the proven AFT PROtroniC platform.
Our Flexible ECU unit provides:
- Complete flexibility
- Controls all engine functions
- Fully configurable/modular software
- Covers current and future engine technologies
- Torque based structure
- Simple to use
- Matlab/Simulink compatible
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) protection
- Comprehensive documentation
MAHLE Jet Ignition® enables homogeneous ultra-lean combustion in modern gasoline engines. The MAHLE Jet Ignition® system is a new combustion technology which replaces the standard spark plug in SI engines with a jet ignition chamber assembly. MAHLE Jet Ignition® facilitates the implementation of ultra lean-burn operation in gasoline engines, improving their efficiency and reducing the formation of pollutants such as nitrogen oxide and particulates. MAHLE Jet Ignition® is an exciting new combustion system that provides great potential for further CO2 emissions reduction in latest generation gasoline engines.