Matcon is a market leading organisation specialising in the design and supply of materials handling solutions, using intermediate bulk container (IBC) technology for handling powders, granules and tablets across a range of manufacturing industries, including food, pharmaceutical, chemical and metal powders. Matcon has a worldwide presence and diverse customer portfolio, encompassing both national and multi-national companies and has been helping its customers to achieve increased productivity and improved product quality, batch traceability and process efficiency for over 30 years.
Matcon IBC Systems are ideally suited to helping their customers achieve ‘lean manufacturing’ - a production method whose aim is to eliminate any use of materials or resources that does not add value for the customer.
Our modular approach to formulation, mixing and packaging of powders allows for parallel processing of consecutive batches without incurring excessive downtime between product changeovers, in order to optimise the Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) of the value adding operations.
Significantly lower levels of inventory and work in progress, and improving cash flow and profitability are just a few of the many benefits for companies who apply this parallel processing approach in their manufacturing operation.
Matcon have the capability to provide total IBC solutions, from single component level through to complete turnkey powder handling systems. We focus on standard “modules” for the most common applications, which include:
- Packing (B2B or FMCG)
- IBC Washing
…as well as having the knowledge and expertise to successfully interface with sieving, milling and many other processes.
Our technology offers significant benefits for companies in the following food production sectors:
- Dairy products
- Tea, Coffee & Cocoa
- Bakery (flour, yeast, bread products)
- Breakfast Cereals
- Soups & Sauces
- Fast Food (Noodles)
- Spices & Herbs
- Pet Food
- Flavor & Fragrances
- Ready Made Food
- Functional Foods
Matcon IBC solutions are widely used in the Solid Dosage industry, we have considerable knowledge and experience to successfully interface with granulation, roller compaction, milling, blending, compression, coating, printing and packing.
Our solutions provide:
- Containment (with the ability to achieve containment to less than 1microgram where required)
- Nitrogen Purging
- CIP (Clean In Place)
- Prevent segregation of blended materials
- Gentle handling of delicate materials, such as tablets in bulk without damage.
We have many successful installations in major blue-chip and generic pharmaceutical manufacturing companies.
Matcon IBC Systems have the unique ability to handle solvent rich, "wet cake" solids between the centrifuge and drying processes, as well as the powders before reaction and post drying. This enables the contents of any reactor to be transferred to any dryer using IBCs.
It is the ability to discharge the full range of API bulk solids from IBCs in a controlled and contained manner that has made Matcon the choice for many major blue-chip and generic pharmaceutical API companies.
Matcon offers the full range of IBC solutions for the industry, including dispensary systems, as well as having the knowledge and expertise to successfully interface with the reaction, centrifuge, drying, milling, sieving and packing processes.
Matcon IBC solutions provide for:
- Complete and automatic discharge of solvent rich, “wet cake” solids
- Containment (with the ability to achieve containment to less than 1 microgram where required)
- Nitrogen Purging
- CIP (Clean In Place)
Matcon have been supplying their IBC Solutions to many major worldwide Plastic & Chemical Companies for many years, and more recently an extensive amount of business with Battery Material manufacturers.
Our Lean Powder Handling Systems are widely used within the most diverse range of production applications and allow these companies to develop huge product portfolios of high value speciality ingredients and intermediates, which in turn help to solve the most important challenges facing mankind such as renewable energy.
Installation of a Matcon IBC solution will provide the following benefits:
- Automatic, dust-free powder handling. Solar power and lithium Ion batteries help the global environment by reducing carbon emissions, but can be potentially dangerous for operators during critical process steps.
- Flexible Manufacturing methods. It is no longer economically viable to build processing lines for a single product. Trends and technology are constantly changing and so will the requirement for the chemical process line.
- Reduced building cost. Matcon Systems provide a dust free method to break the process chain so it is no longer vital to build “tower design”, which in some instances can result in ridiculously tall and expensive buildings.
- In-bin blending. This is particularly advantageous for multi-purpose process lines, especially with multiple process trains running different products. A single Container Mixer can be used to homogenise the final product from all lines. The mixed Container then provides a perfect re-fill solution to final packing or extrusion lines.
- No segregation - a vital benefit for some of the applications mentioned above i.e. high purity silica used for producing solar panels.
- Proven ability to handle high density and abrasive powders.
Matcon Cone Valve technology has been installed extensively in plants worldwide handling the most challenging powders and fibres in very rugged environments.
Despite the very industrial, heavy duty nature of these plants, the end product is commonly used in extreme high tech environments such as aerospace, solar power, electronics or medical services. Guaranteed durability and quality can, in some cases, make the difference between life and death for human beings - Matcon are naturally very proud to form an essential part in the process chain for such vital manufacturing.
There is no doubt that the most important contribution that our Cone Valve solution offers to this field is the prevention of segregation, which in turn assures quality throughout a batch between processes.
Another major challenge within this field is the very difficult flowing nature of many ultra-fine metal and fibrous friction materials, with processors often choosing to manually handle (scoop!) the product. As well as being very inefficient, it is also difficult to quality control and the risk of dust exposure and ergonomic issues are always present.
Matcon’s IBC solutions have been implemented in the processing of friction products, hard metal, iron, steel and aluminium, and precious metal recovery, providing:
- Automatic, dust-free powder handling (meeting REACH-legislations)
- No segregation
- Proven to handle high density, ultra fine (nano) and abrasive powders