Adapted Vehicle Hire Ltd
Unlike other specialist rental companies, Adapted Vehicle Hire have their own workshop where trained staff, certified in vehicle adaptation, have the ability to adjust hire vehicles to meet the needs of our customers.
The two main types of vehicle that we are offer are:
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs)
- adapted cars.
Adapted cars are specially modified to allow people with varying disabilities to drive them.
- the left foot accelerator, this allows someone without use of their right leg to accelerate and brake using their left
- Push/Pull hand controls, this allows someone with little or no lower mobility to accelerate and brake using their hands
- Small vehicles - include; Nissan Micra, ideal as a town runaround and easy to park. Our vehicles are fully automatic and are fitted with either; Push/Pull hand controls and steering ball or a left foot accelerator.
- Medium vehicles - include; Vauxhall Astra and Nissan Note. Available with push/pull hand controls and left foot accelerator if required. They provide extra space for passengers and wheelchair/walking aids.
Large vehicles - with ample room for a wheelchair and passengers
WAVs are vehicles that have been converted, to enable wheelchair users to travel in them while in their wheelchair or entering the vehicle in their wheelchair and then to transfer out of it to a passenger or the driver’s seat.
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) come in a variety of shapes and sizes:
Small wheelchair - accessible vehicles can carry four people in total, inc the driver and one passnger.
Manual or automatic transmission.
- Medium WAV - vehicles including; Peugeot Expert and Fiat Scudo, usually for those with larger or more awkwardly shaped wheelchairs.
- Large WAV - wheelchair accessible vehicles provide space for the wheelchair user, passengers, carers and equipment. Access is usually available via a rear tail lift. Vehicles include; Renault Trafic, Master and VW Transporter.